Riley had a great life. She was an amazing little dog. Tom and I picked her out on New Year's Eve 2002 in Lakeland, FL. She was the fattest of the bunch and it was love at first sight. I brought her home a few weeks later. The breeder told me "Don't expect this dog to be a lap dog...they just aren't like that." On the way home, she was in her cage in the backseat when the whining began. I put her on my lap for the rest of the drive and from that point on we were inseparable. And ask anyone you know...Riley was the ultimate lap dog. She wanted nothing more than to cuddle with you. She traveled all over Europe with us too while we lived in Germany. Riley had been to France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. We took her everywhere we could.
She adored Ella from the moment we brought her home from the hospital and was quite protective of these girls even right up to the end. She endured endless dress up days, ear pullings, belly rubs, and Ella using her as a pillow. No matter what, she always liked the attention. The night before she passed, Ella kept telling us we needed to pack Riley's bag and food for heaven. The morning of she told me not to forget to walk Riley. Even Ella, at three years old, took care of Riley.
She was my only constant thing in my life for eight years straight. Always by my side. Never faltered, never complained, never talked back. She knew tricks and would do anything for a treat. Even though she was little, I would always bring in her in bed with me at night whenever Tom was away. She somehow made me feel a little safer. Now she's gone and I miss her more than I ever thought I could. I miss hearing her scratch her collar to be let out in the morning. I miss her waiting by her dish to be fed. I miss seeing her on her furry blanket on the couch just looking out at us. I miss her waiting at the top of the couch for Tom to come home everyday. I miss coming home to her so excited to see us. Shoot, I even miss her crazy barking. I miss seeing her give Tom huge hugs and I definitely miss her snuggling up next to me.
A piece of me is certainly gone. I find it so hard to smile and laugh and mean it. To some people, a dog is just a dog. But to me Riley was a part of our family. Ella told me the night Riley died that "Riley jumped on my bed and I tucked her in and said goodbye". Tall tale? Maybe. But I'd like to believe Riley did say her goodbyes before she passed. She loved all of us just as much as we loved her. It's hard to believe she's gone. I want my buddy back. :( So very heartbroken.

Riley Roo
Nov 22, 2002-Jan 15, 2011
"All Dogs Go To Heaven, mama"-Ella Petrini
4 comments:
Now I'm having a hard time typing a comment because the tears are running like a rain storm! I know how much Riley meant to The Petrini Family and she was also close to my "allergic" heart. She will be missed by all! Hang in there, you were a GREAT Mommy to Riley Roo:)
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I would like to think that Riley and Lady have met and are already friends in dog heaven. Keep you chin up!
Aw this is so sad Melissa... I am sooo sorry to hear about Riley's passing. She was the cutest little pup ever! I want to squeeze her, too! Thank you for sharing her story!
I am so sorry about Riley I know how much you loved her. Our "girls" have gotten us through a lot. She will be missed so much by all that were lucky enough to know her!! My thoughts are with you I know how hard it is...
Post a Comment