
Our last (and only) family photo in front of our first home. Taken five minutes before we left by the realtor.
Leaving our home of almost five years was very bittersweet. I definitely shed more than my share of normal tears as we packed up our very first home. Many precious memories came to mind as I looked around at the packed boxes and thought about the day we found that house. It wasn't completely built yet, but we saw it and knew it was meant to be our first home. It was a big house for the two of us and...10 months later little Ella was born;) We brought both of our baby girls home from the hospital to that house. We lost our sweet Riley in that house...my saddest memory.
There were endless summer days of sidewalk chalking the driveway, riding bikes, running through the sprinklers, planting the gardens. There were cold winter days playing in the snow or slipping along on the ice in the brutal ice storms. No matter how good or bad there are so many memories I will treasure forever. When Tom moved me to Oklahoma from Germany, I cried upon our arrival to Lawton. I couldn't believe I went from this amazing European country to a city that didn't even have a Target to shop at. But in five years I learned a lot about myself in that little city. We made a beautiful family there, grew stronger as a couple, and realized no matter where the Army sends us, we will always make it our home.
6 comments:
Stop making me cry woman!
I'm glad Tom can share all of you for a little while :)
as always, love your blog!!!! glad you guys are happily settling in.
beautiful Melissa :)
So glad you are near family. Wish I was too. We are having our house painted this weekend, and you've inspired me to take a family picture in front once it's done. This, too, is the house we brought Shae home to, so it will always be special.
Definitely bittersweet. Nick's mom always said her favorite house was the one they lived in when she had all of her children. I'm sure you will always have a special place in your heart for Lawton. On to FL and, maybe next, NY!! We love you guys and can't wait to see you all in a couple of months :)
Post a Comment