April 12, 2014

Exploring New England!

First, let me just start this by saying I feel pretty lucky to have a husband who just goes along with my crazy antics. I mentioned how I wanted to take a whirlwind road trip to knock a few things off my New England bucket list before we moved and Tom never flinched at the idea. He just said "alright...sounds fun"...Yes, babe: Covered bridges, lighthouses, and tasting cheese and maple syrup...I am sure those things are right up there with how you would love to spend a weekend;) But he did it all, and never once complained. He even drove every single mile, and sang along to Frozen songs in the car with his girls.

This trip made my heart happy.

Woodstock, Vermont
This town is quite possibly the cutest, quintessential New England town. I described it to my mom as very Sleepy Hollow-ish. Even though we visited during the "off season" I still found it to be beautiful. I can only imagine how gorgeous it is during the fall with colors everywhere. There's a "village green" and it's the center of town. You look to your left and there's a covered bridge. Look to your right and it's the romanesque library, which looks like a church, but then look next to it and you'll see a steeple.  There are B&B's galore, little galleries and shops. We stayed in this charming motel (yes motel, and yes charming). When Tom found out I booked a motel he questioned if this was going to be like the Bates Motel;) But it wasn't. (Unless you're staying at a B&B in Woodstock, you don't have many choices. And with the ages my children are at, I would never subject other B&B guests to their noise.) Our motel was the Shire Riverview. Each room was decorated in a NE style with four poster beds and views of the Ottauquechee River. I opened a window at night and fell asleep to the sound of the rain and the river running. There were rocking chairs on the front porch and a little walking trail behind the motel. It was seriously adorable! ( I am including this info for my children's future reference. Maybe one day they'll take their babies to Woodstock!) I would stay again in a heartbeat.

While in Vermont we visited Sugarbush Farms. The drive there from our hotel was interesting. They call April "Mud Season" in NE, and I now know why. With all of the snow starting to melt and the previous night's rain, the drive up and down the hills was a slippery muddy mess. Most of the roads to the farm are not paved. Luckily I packed galoshes for all of us, minus Tom (he had boat shoes...hmmmm) because the farm was just as muddy. I picked this farm because they are famous for their delicious cheese and maple syrup. They did not disappoint. We spent a good fifteen minutes taste testing it all. Even the girls and Sam participated and loved it! We walked away with some yummy horseradish cheese and a lot of pure maple syrup. And a cute covered bridge ornament for myself;)
As soon as we got into the room, Ella started sketching the view. My little artist! 

 Sam had to see the view, too!
Gorgeous, right?
 Out to dinner with the crazies. Sam ate his first pickle. 
Best maple latte ever.



Ella loved her cinnamon scone
 Isn't it perfect? 




 Ella was so excited she was airborne! 




 My babes.

 The trail behind our motel


 Arriving at Sugarbush Farms



 The owner:) 
 They tasted it all. I was so proud of them!

 Not going to lie. Madeline and I went a little crazy on the jelly/jam/cracker samples. Tom asked if we were ever going to stop. It. was. that. good.


 This sweet little chapel actually is actually used for weddings! 




 Onward to Lincoln, NH to take the Kancamagus Highway for what is supposed to be one of the prettiest scenic drives in New England. Unfortunately, there was just way too much snow and the stop offs/pullovers along the way were still barricaded with piles of it. But it really was very pretty and relaxing to drive through the mountains. Ella kept asking why we were stillllll in a forest, but hey...kids will be kids. My bucket list of scenery is certainly different from that of a six year old's whose only concern is to swim at the hotel pool.


 North Conway, New Hampshire


 All my loves in a line.

 She made a new friend.
It's the first time these kids have swam since summer! To say they were excited is an understatement!
Just ignore that little girl in the background whining. At least it wasn't one of mine;)

Dinner and gelato. 
Breakfast at Peach's.  Most popular place in North Conway! I was just proud that our little family was up and dressed and ready, breakfast done and on the road to Maine by 8:45am:) I guess it helps when Sam wakes up at 5 freaking am. Pancakes and french toast with real syrup. Seriously delicious. 
Sam barely made it back in his car seat after breakfast before passing out on the drive to Maine. No matter where we were, the drive was beautiful. And peaceful. Sometimes, bumpy and windy, but there was always something pretty to look at. ;) The best part about these three states we visited...they are all relatively close in distance. The most time we spent in our car was from Newport to Woodstock and that was about four hours. For our family, four hours in the car, is a drop in the bucket. It doesn't phase us. 

Maine was everything I thought it would be. The weather was sunny and clear. Perfect backdrop for lighthouse photos! Tom shot down exploring Portland. We just ran out of time and in hindsight, he was right. I hate admitting that, but that particular city probably needs a full weekend to explore. Since this was a whirlwind trip we just didn't have a full weekend. 

Our first stop was Cape Elizabeth, Maine to see the Portland Head Lighthouse. Built in 1791, it is the oldest lighthouse in Maine. The girls and Sam loved running around on the open field and exploring the grounds. 



 This photo made my heart leap out of my chest. Madeline is wild and I pictured her over that edge. But yet, I took the photo. 


 My oldest. She really does love life even though she's my most serious child.

 Sam hitching a ride on daddy's shoulders.









Afterwards we headed to Kennebunkport: Home of the Bush family summer residence.  I won't hide it...I am a Bush family fan. I never thought about seeing this house until my mom mentioned that we should include it on our road trip. So I did. It's located on the beautiful Ocean Ave of Kennebunkport. I learned two things while visiting: 1. Our girls are way more confident now on rocks over looking the ocean than a few weeks ago. 2. We are very lucky to live in a beautiful city like Newport and be able to see these kind of views on a daily basis. Kennebunkport was an adorable seaside city, but I am biased and loved Newport way more;)

 I am not sure what is going on in this photo, but he may have needed a serious break.







Next, and last stop on my list: York, ME.

York Beach was a pleasant little surprise. I loved how at low tide you could walk on the wet sand. During high tide, the water goes to the edge! 

 And I love Madeline's rockin' 80's mullet. 







The Cape Neddick Lighthouse in the distance

It's supposed to be the most photographed lighthouse in Maine.  Imagine this cute little lighthouse with green grass...it really was charming! So glad my friend Suzy recommended it to us:)

And that's all folks! Our whirlwind adventure road trip! We are so lucky to live in the Northeast and be able to explore this beautiful part of our country. Thank you to my husband for making it happen and for my babies for being awesome at every stop along the way. I know it was far from being Disney World, but they humored me with their excitement anyway;) 

4 comments:

dcy said...

Wow that was a whirlwind tour of the upper northeast! I'm putting that on my bucket list to visit - only I am going in the summer. I can't stand the cold! That pic of the girls in their swimsuits - is Maddie really wearing boots? funny stuff. and the photo of her looking over the edge of the lighthouse - it literally made my heart stop! so scary and am glad I wasn't there cause I would have been a nervous wreck! xoxo

Natassja said...

These are gorgeous photos!! And I laughed out loud reading your caption of Maddie's 80's mullet!! :) So glad you guys could explore more of the area before moving!!

Jamie Kubeczka said...

So fun, I love yourcrazy antics and am right there with ya! I love exploring, just not much around here! LOL. Love all the pics and it looks like a ball.

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

What an amazing trip! Beautiful pictures and beautiful family!!!