September 27, 2009

Greetings from South Korea!

We made it folks! After a 2 hour plane ride from OKC to ATL, a 3 hour layover in ATL and a 14.5 hour plane trip to Seoul, we are officially in the Land of the Morning Calm! 7,946 miles traveled. I am sure your first question is "how did Ella do on the plane ride?" Well I would love to say she was a perfect angel, but that wasn't the case. She did receive a few compliments on how well behaved she was, but those passengers must have missed her little hissy fits she would throw in the seat next to me. Understandably so. I barely survived the trip myself and after a "few" much needed glasses of wine, I finally became comfortable on the flight. Oh and the fact that I held onto my rosary beads the entire trip. Turbulence can be a real b!tch. (It caused my wine to spill...the nerve!) You have to love kids though because Ella saw the ups and downs and shaking of the plane as a roller coaster ride and said weeeee and giggled the whole time. Her mom however...well I was white knuckled and practically pulling the oxygen mask down so I wouldn't pass out from sheer terror.

Korean Airlines is a wonderful airline though. I have to give them huge props for comfort and the ability to keep their customers occupied for such long flights. They give you eye masks, socks, toothbrush and a bottle of water when you get on the plane. They gave Ella a plane-shaped magna doodle and coloring book with crayons. There are tv's in every seat with an entertainment package. I was able to watch two movies when Ella was sleeping and Ella was able to watch children's movies (Nemo and Shrek were her favorite choices). The food was pretty good too. I tried the Korean Bipimbop which consisted of rice, meat, spinach, zuchini, and mushrooms. You have to add sesame oil and a red pepper paste to make it as spicy as you would like. I thought it was good! They served all the meals in glass bowls or plates and used real silverware. Ella's children's meal rocked. She had chicken nuggets and fries, milano cookies, a kit kat bar, banana muffin, rice pudding, chicken salad...I bet they give the Korean kids rice. But the American kids...well they want us to be nice and fat. And yes, I did always help Ella finish her meal;) I can't allow Milano cookies to go to waste.

I have to admit I had my first Korean language biff! A Korean man was helping me with my luggage once we got to Seoul and was loading it on the cart for me. (I must have had that look of desperation on my face holding Ella while trying to unload 2 suitcases, a car seat, a camera bag, my backpack, her backpack and a stroller. You have to do this on your own before you go through customs!) After he was done I said "gamsamnida" thank you in Korean...well I said it all wrong (woooops) and he started laughing at me. He corrected me, but now I'm even more hesitant to try this crazy language! I know he appreciated me making an effort though. Oh and these Koreans LOVE Ella. I don't know if it's her blonde hair or what, but everyone wants to touch her and they all say "oh so cute!" One of the airline guys said "oh you like a real live baby doll!" It was sweet.

We are currently adjusting to the 14 hour time difference. Ella is waking up at 315-4 am. But it's ok. I wake up around then, too because I am out of my mind starving! I literally eat three breakfasts. Tom said it's normal because my body missed a few meals, but I think he's just being nice! Either way, I know we will adjust soon. No worries.

Thank you to everyone for all their support and love for us with this trip. It was a huge relief to touch down in Seoul and to know we did it! I felt like super mom for a few minutes. There are times when I doubt myself, but after this adventure I think I'm ok doing pretty much anything on my own. But I never would have thought it was possible to bring Ella along for such a trip without the courage from you guys! Lots of love to you all. I'm missing my stateside friends and fam a whole lot. Oh and my Iphone. ;)

Outside the Seoul Airport, very happy to be on the ground after 24+ hours of traveling.



Out to dinner in the Ville on Saturday night. Mushroom Bulgogi yummmm.

I call this beer the Korean 40. It's huge. But I enjoyed two of them;) Ella however, slept through the meal after a small crying fit.

Dvd Shopping! Ella still sleeping. Happy to get 3 dvds for $7. PS Don't ever rent or buy District 9. Very stupid movie. But Ella loves her new Bee movie and Coraline!
Tom says Ella looks like me in this picture. Is it her cheeks? Smile? You tell me.

Thanks for checking in on us! Annyeoung-hi-gaseyo!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

You are SUPER MOM!!! I would have seriously passed out cold from the anixety of a 14.5 hour plane ride, let alone turbulence!! I had a horrible flight from New York to Florida last Thanksgiving, turbulence the entire time, the seat handles had dents in them LMAO!! And that was only a 2 hour plane ride!!! I am so happy you and Ella made it safely! I am sure you are enjoying every moment (even with the time change)... Ella does look like you in that picture, I think it's her smile! Have fun, eat, drink, sleep in (if you can), enjoy your hubby and seeing Korea! It's definelty a once in a lifetime opportunity! Ella is a little travler and she is not even 2 yet!!

Caroline said...

I am very impressed! Glad to know you both made it there safe and sound. How long will you be there for? I know you're both so glad to see Tom! Can't wait to see more pics!

Melissa said...

Caroline, we will be here for 5 weeks!!

Lauren that is exactly how i was for almost all of the 14.5 hours. Just sat there very anxious and gripping the seat. LOL. I love to travel, but flying just scares me.

Parzikcj said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Enjoy your time with Tom...it will go by fast :( When do you get home?

Melissa said...

Christy, we get home Nov 1.