May 14, 2009

We need a basement.

Last night was a little stressful on my heart. I think I lost a few years off my life. The weather here has been awful to say the least. It has been raining everyday just about since Tom left. But last night takes the cake. Between the tornado sirens going off ( I will never get used to those sounds-see below) and then the softball sized hail pounding my bedroom window in the middle of the night, I thought for sure I was going to have to tap my ruby red slippers to return me back to Oklahoma one day (make that Florida though). I truly believed I was going to be sucked up in a giant tornado. Me and my little dog, too;) But seriously folks. The people in OK don't understand that 75-100 mph winds is NOT normal. In Florida, that is considered a Category 1 hurricane for goodness sakes. The locals here don't even flinch. Half of them sleep through this stuff. HOW? I looked outside last night and our garden looked like I had emptied a cooler full of ice in it from all of the gigantic pieces of hail. It woke me up with such a loud bang, I swore one of the 100 gangs in Lawton had finally picked my house for a drive-by shooting. (I promise we live in a safe neighborhood so more than likely a drive-by wouldn't really occur on our street...but...it really did sound like gunshots.) There were reports of skylights breaking, windows breaking and parts of rooftops being blown off.

I did manage to stay brave and fall back asleep without any hiding under the bed. Although I did bring my little dog in with me to cuddle just in case Oz was in our near future. Can't go without Toto;) Oh and Ella slept through it all. Like a sweet baby.
This is what our sirens sound like for all of my Florida cronies who will never have to listen to this ever.


2 comments:

Lauren said...

OMG that is terrible! I have to say you are much braver then I am, I would've hid in a closet, baby, dog and all! I am pretty glad I do not hear those sirens here in FL!

Kasey said...

Wow! Those sirens would wake me up for sure. That stinks. :(