It's been a week since we arrived in the Land of the Morning Calm and I have to say I really enjoy it here. It's the most unusual of all the places I have ever visited, and at the same time the most intimidating. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I was pretty hesitant when we first moved to Germany. It took me a LONG time (and by long I mean at least a month) to leave our apartment by myself minus a very quick walk with Riley right outside our apartment. I felt very unsure of myself, the language, the people. The whole scene made me anxious. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about and after awhile I adjusted just fine there. Even the lady at the Bäckerei thought I was a German girl until a week before we moved back to the states.
But here I am again, in a foreign land and those same hesitations, same intimidations and lack of self assurance are BACK. I'm not scared to admit it...it took me 6 days to leave this apartment here by myself with Ella. After all, we only have 5 weeks here. I don't have a month to be scared! So we went down the block to the recycling center. Hey--it's a start. Don't judge me.
First intimidation, the locks on the doors here. They are keypads with codes. You don't use keys so you have to remember codes to get in every door. Second, the people here. Ummm I don't know if you noticed, but I look much different than the Koreans do. I totally stand out. When they see me, they know I don't belong here. They know I don't speak their language. I know some of you out there are saying "take advantage of being in a new country and try try try." I getcha. But it's still a bit daunting for me. However, Ella is really embracing all that Korea has to offer to her so far.
But here I am again, in a foreign land and those same hesitations, same intimidations and lack of self assurance are BACK. I'm not scared to admit it...it took me 6 days to leave this apartment here by myself with Ella. After all, we only have 5 weeks here. I don't have a month to be scared! So we went down the block to the recycling center. Hey--it's a start. Don't judge me.
First intimidation, the locks on the doors here. They are keypads with codes. You don't use keys so you have to remember codes to get in every door. Second, the people here. Ummm I don't know if you noticed, but I look much different than the Koreans do. I totally stand out. When they see me, they know I don't belong here. They know I don't speak their language. I know some of you out there are saying "take advantage of being in a new country and try try try." I getcha. But it's still a bit daunting for me. However, Ella is really embracing all that Korea has to offer to her so far.
Eating an Asian pear. These things are really big pears. Think canteloupe size.
Learning to recycle. Such a little tree hugger.
Wandering the streets of the scary alley in front of the apt which turns out isn't so scary after all:)
The view from the street
Ella checking out the view
"Hmmm I hope mommy takes me out of the house more often. This place is interesting."
Koreans find random plots of land and build their own gardens on them.
This is right outside Tom's place.
Mommy couldn't let Ella have ALL the fun;)
Back inside relaxing. For some reason, I love this photo of her. Maybe it's because she seems so calm.
No comments:
Post a Comment