October 22, 2012

Follow the Yellowbrick Road...


For Ella's 5th birthday we gave her a choice: She could take a road trip to Dallas and go to the American Girl doll store and pick out any doll her heart desired, OR we could head to Wamego, KS and go to the Wizard of Oz Museum. Yes, my friends. She chose OZ. I love that she is such a fan of the movie that she had her heart set on a trip to see as much of Dorothy and friends as possible. She was so excited to get there. The six hour car ride didn't even phase her. I think she counted down the minutes. She kept asking if she was going to meet a munchkin there, but I let her know the only munchkin there would be her sister.
This is what happens when Tom finds my poor sunglasses broken to pieces.

A very content almost 5yr old on her way to KS

The museum itself is very small, but definitely worth seeing if you are a fan. I love the movie and loved seeing all of the memorabilia. As did Ella. She was in heaven. Everywhere she turned was Dorothy or her red slippers. Neither girl loves the wicked witch and as much as I begged for them to stand by her...they wouldn't. I think there is some sort of resemblance:

Biggest Tin Man ever.



This was as close as I could get them to the witch. ;)
The museum had a cowardly lion forest to walk through
Makeshift tornado with the wicked witch in it. And the house is over to the left hanging.
Tom especially enjoyed seeing all of the different Oz brews.
Ella's hands in the munchkins prints

Sitting in the Wizard's throne
I just love this picture of her.
So much for that awesome souvenir;)



After exploring the museum (it didn't take very long) we headed next door to Toto's Tacos for a late lunch. Cute place and the girls enjoyed finding all of the Toto's the owner placed around the restaurant.


Once we all had full bellies, we decided to take a walk on their famous yellowbrick road that leads to a pretty park. The bricks were definitely the slightest pale yellow I have ever seen, but in my mind I was picturing a the golden yellow road from the movie. Notsomuch. The girls enjoyed running and skipping along it though!



I love that I caught Tom skipping in the background! 
And I LOVE these girls. Love.



Tallest slide that I have ever let them go on...I was a little hesitant, but they loved it. Tom wouldn't slide down though;)


Teaching Madeline how to skip down the yellow brick road
Is there anything sweeter? 
Couldn't have asked for a better day.
 Stay tuned for birthday road trip part 2 when we head to the pumpkin patch!
To see even MORE pictures, feel free to click here

No comments: