Last Friday, the girls and I attended a Welcome Home ceremony on post. It wasn't the typical Welcome Home ceremony that we are used to seeing. It was a ceremony recognizing our Vietnam Vets and it was by far the most meaningful and humble experience I have had as an army wife. Our Vets were never welcomed home like they should have been all those years ago and even though many, many years have passed since those days, I am grateful to Fort Sill and to my husband for planning an incredibly historic event to give them the welcome home they deserve.
To see the Vets walking into the gym and waving to the crowd was an emotional sight. Many were wheeled in by their nurses. Many held on to canes or walkers. All of them beamed with pride. They served our country with dignity, and our community wanted to show them our true appreciation for their sacrifices. The audience held up "Welcome Home" signs and "Thank You" signs. Soldiers saluted while children waved flags. The army band played, Major General McDonald gave a moving speech, and the National Anthem echoed throughout the building. I have to say while watching all of it, my girls stood in awe quietly watching history in the making. And me, being the very pregnant girl that I am, let the tears fall.
To see the Vets walking into the gym and waving to the crowd was an emotional sight. Many were wheeled in by their nurses. Many held on to canes or walkers. All of them beamed with pride. They served our country with dignity, and our community wanted to show them our true appreciation for their sacrifices. The audience held up "Welcome Home" signs and "Thank You" signs. Soldiers saluted while children waved flags. The army band played, Major General McDonald gave a moving speech, and the National Anthem echoed throughout the building. I have to say while watching all of it, my girls stood in awe quietly watching history in the making. And me, being the very pregnant girl that I am, let the tears fall.
I wish I took a picture of the streets lined up with people waiting to welcome the Vets. Even the school children were out there saluting them. Such a sight!
| Usually these white buses are never appreciated around the post as they typically mean deployments. But it was pretty neat to see how many lined up to take the Vets around to each event that day. |
2 comments:
That's so nice!! Great pictures!
Love to see that vets are appreciated, but mostly love to see that the vietnam vets are appreciated because they were treated the worst ever in our history! Good job Tom! xoxo
Post a Comment