June 17, 2013

Charleston Getaway

A few days after our Disney adventure, we took yet another roadtrip to Charleston, SC. This time we brought along reinforcements: aka the grandmas. We knew we would need babysitters because we were there for a wedding. One of Tom's Citadel classmates was getting married and there was no way I was going to bring along my sweet hellions to that wedding. (oxymoron I know, but it describes them pretty well!) Tom and I have been so excited to take the girls to Charleston to show them where Tom went to college. They always see pictures of the campus and think it's pretty awesome that their daddy went to school at a castle. However, I forewarned them many times that there aren't any princesses or princes here.

We had a great time exploring the open markets downtown and looking at the handwoven baskets, artwork, and watching the horse and carriages go by. The wedding was absolutely beautiful and it was so much fun to catch up with the Citadel wives (we are an elite group...or so we decided that weekend over too much wine! Ha!) I love the group of friends Tom made in college. I have known them as long as Tom has and for the past fourteen years, they have become family to us. He couldn't have handpicked a better group to be a part of our lives. I am so grateful those F-Troop boys were all stuck together as knobs...and continued to stick together all these years later.

The day after the wedding we took the ferry over to Fort Sumter and explored where the first shots of the Civil War had taken place (by Citadel cadets no less). The girls loved the boat ride, but couldn't care less about the history lesson. They found picking flowers on the fort to be way more exciting. After Fort Sumter, we took the kids to the Citadel. They loved it. We showed them the Summerall Chapel where we were married and they walked down that same long aisle with us. To see how far we have come in 8.5 years since our lives began together was a real blessing. Afterwards, the girls ran across the parade field to the red and white checkered quad. Luckily, there wasn't a guard on duty so they helped themselves inside. I know they loved visiting there, but I hope not enough to ever want to go to school there;)

The Citadel, Charleston, and everything it encompasses is why it's our favorite city in the US. We fell in love there, made lifelong friendships there, and now we are able to share that with our little family. Such an amazing weekend!
Enjoying a cold beer after a long drive!
 My family in Charleston
The grandmas!
The girls shopping at the market

Granny P bought some art
 Dinner at The Charleston Crab House
 Kids sent home with the grandmas and we went out to reunite with our Citadel family!
 Cit Boys!
The morning of the wedding...more exploring!
I love these sweetgrass baskets
Uncle Chris and Olivia came to visit, too! The girls loved seeing their cousin.



 Madeline...no shame!
Wedding time!
 Tom was a swordman

 I think he's the most handsome man on Earth. Hubba hubba.

Obligatory ring photo with the beautiful bride!
We took a pedicab to the reception! Much easier than walking. 

Pretty sure Tom is grabbing Josh's butt. 


Tom is always entertaining

The next day...Fort Sumter
On the ferry













Visit to the Citadel








Later that night, we went out to dinner and treated the girls to ice cream. Perfect ending to our Charleston getaway. 

Photobomb Tom.

No comments: