September 5, 2013

1st Day of Kindergarten!

I survived!! Oh wait...it's not about me. Ella was awesome! She woke up really early and asked every few minutes if it was time to go to the bus stop. I do believe every time she asked, I cried. I really tried to hide my emotions from her, but it was next to impossible! I think she had come to expect the tears though. 
 
We walked her to the bus stop. Don't worry. I brought tissues. The bus has been my biggest hesitation as a parent. I'm afraid she will be left behind, get on the wrong bus, get off at the wrong stop, ect. Many worries. But I will say the morning bus was the most organized bus I have ever seen. Driver was equipped with a loud speaker and the assistant had the kids line up by grade. It was a huge relief for me. I still drove to the school to make sure the bus made it there OF COURSE. 

And it did. I'm glad I drove there though. The school is huge and some of those sweet little Kindergarten students were as lost as can be. I helped at least three find their teachers. To use the word chaotic would be an understatement for the first day of this new school;) I'll give them a little grace and be nice because I know first days of schools are always the craziest.

Seeing Ella in her classroom made me feel better. I snuck a quick picture (it's a must have, right??) and then we left and took the kids to the park across the street. Watching Madeline play today without Ella left me feeling a bit empty. I know it was hard on Madeline as well. She broke down right after the bus pulled away which made me cry again (shocking at this point) and said she wanted Ella home. Then when we left the school she told me we forgot Ella. After we got home she started to ride her bike towards the bus stop. I asked her where she was going and she said "to the bus stop just in case Ella came home". Cue tears. (from me) She spent a lot of time just sitting on my lap today coloring and playing with stickers. I may or may not have fed her ice cream at 10am to make her feel better. 

I felt like time crawled a little today. I missed her like crazy and wished her teacher could just text me pictures of her all day. Can't I pay an assistant to do that?! (Must relinquish control...soon) When it was time to pick her up from the bus stop, Madeline ran outside cheering and I have to say I was cheering, too. Even Sam was cooing and talking up a storm and smiling big. Tom was anxious as well and made sure he was home for it. Ella adds an irreplaceable sweet spark to our family. Seeing her open mouth smile as the bus came to a stop made me realize I shouldn't worry so much about my baby girl. She's going to be just fine. And so am I.
 Love her career choice:) 
Sweet sisters
Daddy and his girls!
Love this picture!!
Walking to the bus stop
Sam the man just hanging with me. He's such a trooper! 
The point where I wanted to throw up, but luckily was distracted with Sam spitting up all over instead;) Maybe he shared my nervous feelings? 
My baby...is this really happening??
It is! All smiles and waves. 
Then I thought she was going to cry (yes! She WILL miss me..woohoo!) but then I did a little dance and pointed to the palm of my hand (from that book The Kissing Hand...when the child misses their mama they remember she kissed the palm of their hand to remind them she's always there) and she was back to smiling again. Whew. Crisis averted.
My absolutely amazing friend Jen made it to the school in time to see Ella get off the bus. Her son Ryan is in Kindergarten as well. She will never know how much I appreciate her being there so Ella had a friendly, familiar face to greet her at the school. And to capture these moments for me. 
She was alllll smiles even without me around;)
Ella and Ryan
Madeline surprised them on the playground. Ella was ecstatic!
Having fun before school starts
Meeting her teacher! 
Me and mine:)

 One last goodbye! Gosh I adore the heck out of these two. Their sister bond is crazy strong. I hope it stays that way forever. 
The little sisters!
I took a very quick photo. It was the best I could do;)
Day one is done. She had a great first day. Art was her favorite part. She didn't really eat her lunch (Madeline gobbled it down for her ha!) and was asleep by 7:30. I'm kinda digging this school thing.  I can only hope we are all this happy as the year continues on. :)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness I am terrified of this day! It looks like she (and you) did great though :) Cute pictures! What a great way to document it.

dcy said...

She actually looked happy to be there! She reminds me so much of you when you were that age - its amazing. You both have the same smile!