November 12, 2013

Purgatory, Lizzie Borden, Orbs...

Man! What a day! We decided to take a "fall foliage" drive yesterday and well, look at the fall leaves. You would have thought I had asked Ella to rip her teeth out with pliers and no drugs. Her face in the back of the car looked like boredom times 10000000. Sam and Madeline slept. I was all "ooooohhhh" and "awwww"'n over every leaf I saw. But nobody, noooobody in my car remotely cared. Tom was just driving, humoring me. Apparently I am the only one who loves nature's way of changing seasons.

It's ok though. I enjoyed it. The kids were quiet. Really quiet actually. I might just torture the family again with a "winter wonderland" drive next time when the snow starts to pile up just for the sake of some peace.

On our drive we came across Purgatory Chasm. It is a hidden gem here. There was a small sign on the road pointing to it and having no idea of what it was, we decided to check it out. Turns out, it's this little wooded trail that leads to one of the most incredible views I have seen since living here. Formed by the eroding action of the seas over eons, it's a narrow cleft in the rock ledges. When you look over the edge, it's enough to make you dizzy! There's a big drop after these rocks that we are standing on, too. I know it seems to flow together in my pictures, but that's a cliff behind us. My pictures, or any pictures I have since seen of this place, do it any sort of justice. Simply beautiful. Nerve wracking with small children, but still absolutely worth the visit.

 He's way more daring than I am. That's the edge right there. No thank you!



 Ella dressed herself. She looks like a winter consignment sale. 

 Cute wooden bridge overlooking the chasm.
 Isn't it really beautiful? 
 We drove to Fall River, MA so I could visit a place that has haunted me since childhood. Lizzie Borden's House. You know that rhyme:
Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother 40 whacks.
When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41. 

Yeah, it's stuck with me since I was probably Ella's age. Anyway, Lizzie Borden killed her parents (although later acquitted of the crime)...and now the house where the murders occurred is a Bed & Breakfast. You can actually stay in her bedroom or her parent's room. I don't think I will be spending the night any time soon because my own husband wouldn't even get out of the car to take a picture. He said he doesn't mess with ghosts and took my picture from the car...parked across the street.
 
Orb above my head
 Lots of orbs in this picture. Does anyone else see the green face in the driveway??? I didn't until my mom pointed it out. And then my aunt pointed out the lady in her pjs peeking out of the second story middle window. Turns out that was the stepmom's room where she was killed. Eeeeek. Creepy. 

Totally going back with my mom in the spring though. It's only 20 miles from us and I know she will at least go inside to see the museum part. After researching the house and hearing all of the ghost stories, I don't know if I could ever spend the night.
We treated the kids to Friendly's after for a quick lunch and of course ice cream. You know...because I spent all that time torturing them with leaves and bare trees with fallen leaves and then the scary haunted house. 

3 comments:

Emily said...

I would have been screaming my head off if Mike got on the edge like that! Tom is a crazy man!!

Natassja said...

AWESOME!!! That view! Incredible!!! Atleast you got some great pictures! And how cute do you like in front of the L. Borden house!!! LOL!!! "I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" should be your caption!

dcy said...

"Ella dressed herself - she looks like a winter sale at a consignment shop" is the funniest thing ever! Tom balancing himself on ledge = stupid? I'm with Emily - CRAZY!!