You know that bond? The bond between father and son? Or in our case father and son and father and daughters? It's the sweetest thing for me to see Tom and the kids interact together. He's generally pretty busy with school and other extras, that his down time with his children isn't flowing so freely this year. But when he chooses to spend it just holding Sam or playing a board game with the girls, it makes me smile. I know I'm the lucky one because I am able to spend plenty of time with our kids. I'm seeing firsthand just how quickly time flies by. I see the pants getting shorter, jackets getting smaller. Ella standing more on the swings rather than sitting and trying to perfect her cartwheel daily. I see Madeline practicing her "cat chase mouse" ballet move across the living room, and choosing to save her half-eaten lollipop for when Ella gets home from school (yum). And Sam, well he changes daily. From sitting up, to getting teeth, to eating solids to taking his first slow, slow crawls. It's amazing how fast it all happens. And I am blessed enough to see, and hear and enjoy every bit of their day (most days!). Tom works hard for our family and I know he misses out on a lot because of his career. But I am happy he still has a sweet bond with his three babies. I just hope he relishes that time he does get to spend with them and really takes advantage of it.
"Don't just hear about the details. Be a part of the details." My smart, wonderful friend Jen has this mantra and I hope we (as parents) never forget that. Be involved in their lives. Get down on the floor and build those giant Lego sets. Be the student when your child wants to play school. Dress the Barbies, pour some real tea in those tiny tin tea cups. Take their light-up scooter for a spin. Kick the soccer ball in the field with them. Hang from the monkey bars. I promise you won't regret it for one second. For our little ones grow up entirely too fast. And before we know it those "details" will include college graduations and wedding planning and we will be longing for those days at the parks watching our kids standing on swings and dancing through our living rooms.
"Don't just hear about the details. Be a part of the details." My smart, wonderful friend Jen has this mantra and I hope we (as parents) never forget that. Be involved in their lives. Get down on the floor and build those giant Lego sets. Be the student when your child wants to play school. Dress the Barbies, pour some real tea in those tiny tin tea cups. Take their light-up scooter for a spin. Kick the soccer ball in the field with them. Hang from the monkey bars. I promise you won't regret it for one second. For our little ones grow up entirely too fast. And before we know it those "details" will include college graduations and wedding planning and we will be longing for those days at the parks watching our kids standing on swings and dancing through our living rooms.
5 comments:
So cute!!
Absolutely perfect! So beautifully written!!! :) You may have started a movement here! I'm inspired to write about my boy's little details that can be so easily overlooked! Thanks for sharing!! xoxo
Beautifully written!! I love reading everything you write :) xo
Your writing makes me feel like I am there living the details with all of you! Please don't stop! And tell tom to get this blog into book form so the girls & Sam know how blessed they were growing up! I love you xoxoxo
Super cute!
Post a Comment