"The Office"
Work has been good and I am learning a lot. I have also been observing a lot. Here are some observations:
1. One great thing about Iraq: no cold water, ever.
2. The lack of alcohol has introduced me to some old friends, abdominals. They are visiting more each day, all six of them. I will work hard to remove them from my life when I get home.
3. Lobster on Sunday is great; lobster without melted butter is average.
4. I sweat in places on my person I didn’t know existed
5. Cream from a water buffalo is actually quite good, the dining facility has kimchi and I still won’t touch that stuff.
6. A high quality mustache – Iraqi men are partial
7. Italians at the gym work out in tights, as an Italian-American I feel I should give it a try.
8. The Alpha Delta Pi sisterhood rocks – those girls are everywhere, even Baghdad. Grabbing a meal with Beth is a welcome distraction from the day-to-day monotony.
Can't make this stuff up!
I thought I’d highjack the family blog for a bit and give you all a “SITREP” (situation report for those not familiar with the military parlance) as I wrap up my sixth week here in Baghdad.
I was able to enjoy 38 days off – a record for me – before reporting to Fort Benning for a week at the CONUS Replacement Center (more jargon for you). It was a week spent drawing equipment, getting some last minute training, passing medical (kidney be damned), and more or less stewing in the Georgia heat for a few days. At the end of the week I climbed on that big silver jet was gone. After about twenty hours of travel, and a stop in Liepzig where a brat was all the Germany I could get my hands on, I landed in Kuwait City, outside temperature 120o. For those who wonder what that kind of heat feels like go to your kitchen, pre heat the oven to 120, and stick your head inside.
It was hot, it was dusty, and it was exactly where I wanted to be. I spent the night in Kuwait and caught an Air Force C-130 transport into Baghdad the next day. After a couple of nights at the airport I caught a ride (thanks to the State Dept.) to my home in the “Green Zone” errrr, “International Zone”. A city within a city it is home to the Iraqi Government and many embassies. My office is in what was to be the “World Ba’ath Party Headquarters” still under construction in 2003 the Air Force put a few 2,000 pound bombs into it for good measure.
I was able to enjoy 38 days off – a record for me – before reporting to Fort Benning for a week at the CONUS Replacement Center (more jargon for you). It was a week spent drawing equipment, getting some last minute training, passing medical (kidney be damned), and more or less stewing in the Georgia heat for a few days. At the end of the week I climbed on that big silver jet was gone. After about twenty hours of travel, and a stop in Liepzig where a brat was all the Germany I could get my hands on, I landed in Kuwait City, outside temperature 120o. For those who wonder what that kind of heat feels like go to your kitchen, pre heat the oven to 120, and stick your head inside.
It was hot, it was dusty, and it was exactly where I wanted to be. I spent the night in Kuwait and caught an Air Force C-130 transport into Baghdad the next day. After a couple of nights at the airport I caught a ride (thanks to the State Dept.) to my home in the “Green Zone” errrr, “International Zone”. A city within a city it is home to the Iraqi Government and many embassies. My office is in what was to be the “World Ba’ath Party Headquarters” still under construction in 2003 the Air Force put a few 2,000 pound bombs into it for good measure.
Work has been good and I am learning a lot. I have also been observing a lot. Here are some observations:
1. One great thing about Iraq: no cold water, ever.
2. The lack of alcohol has introduced me to some old friends, abdominals. They are visiting more each day, all six of them. I will work hard to remove them from my life when I get home.
3. Lobster on Sunday is great; lobster without melted butter is average.
4. I sweat in places on my person I didn’t know existed
5. Cream from a water buffalo is actually quite good, the dining facility has kimchi and I still won’t touch that stuff.
6. A high quality mustache – Iraqi men are partial
7. Italians at the gym work out in tights, as an Italian-American I feel I should give it a try.
8. The Alpha Delta Pi sisterhood rocks – those girls are everywhere, even Baghdad. Grabbing a meal with Beth is a welcome distraction from the day-to-day monotony.
I miss my family dearly. As hard as I think I have it, Melissa definitely has more on her plate. Melissa likes to remind me that I get to come home from work and relax and that is true (in between rocket attacks). Having an awesome partner in crime and knowing the littlest members of my family are well cared for gives me the peace of mind to be able to do my job over here. She is a great mom and is raising a couple of little rascals, who adore her as much as I do. I am honored to share my life with her.
Can't make this stuff up!
What’s on my iPod Baghdad edition (because I will make you care):
1. Jump in the Pool, Friendly Fires
2. Blood Bank, Bon Iver
3. The Luckiest, Ben Folds
4. Knights of Cydonia, Muse
Crazy story of “Mandom”: Melissa sent me a link for a bathing suit she liked; Victoria Secret…very fancy. I debated whether or not I would click on the link at work. I could see five Iraqi translators hovering around my desk drooling at girls in bikinis. I figured I could open it and make a quick purchase it as a nice way to surprise the wife. It was the fasted internet purchase in history. I was in and out quick –no pun intended. Proud of myself, I shot Mel an email telling her to be expecting a beautiful new bikini. Later in the afternoon I got an email thanking me, but also scolding me for spending $100 on a bikini. I said don’t worry, I wouldn’t have, the bikini I bought was only $50. Melissa then informed me that I must have only bought one piece of the two piece bikini. I scrambled…I had a plan. If I bought the bottoms, I would try to parlay that into a European beach vacation (if you know what I mean). To my disappointment I found that I bought the top, and after thinking about it realized there is no way a woman at the beach with a bikini top and sans bottom would be found acceptable. I just want to say all you chicks out there are getting ripped off. Every bathing suit I have, including the pink Spanish man-thong, was had for one reasonable price. That being said, a second trip to the Victoria Secret website fixed the problem, and $100 later I again realize how awesome it is to be a man.
Well, gotta run. Until I blog again, be good!
1. Jump in the Pool, Friendly Fires
2. Blood Bank, Bon Iver
3. The Luckiest, Ben Folds
4. Knights of Cydonia, Muse
Crazy story of “Mandom”: Melissa sent me a link for a bathing suit she liked; Victoria Secret…very fancy. I debated whether or not I would click on the link at work. I could see five Iraqi translators hovering around my desk drooling at girls in bikinis. I figured I could open it and make a quick purchase it as a nice way to surprise the wife. It was the fasted internet purchase in history. I was in and out quick –no pun intended. Proud of myself, I shot Mel an email telling her to be expecting a beautiful new bikini. Later in the afternoon I got an email thanking me, but also scolding me for spending $100 on a bikini. I said don’t worry, I wouldn’t have, the bikini I bought was only $50. Melissa then informed me that I must have only bought one piece of the two piece bikini. I scrambled…I had a plan. If I bought the bottoms, I would try to parlay that into a European beach vacation (if you know what I mean). To my disappointment I found that I bought the top, and after thinking about it realized there is no way a woman at the beach with a bikini top and sans bottom would be found acceptable. I just want to say all you chicks out there are getting ripped off. Every bathing suit I have, including the pink Spanish man-thong, was had for one reasonable price. That being said, a second trip to the Victoria Secret website fixed the problem, and $100 later I again realize how awesome it is to be a man.
Well, gotta run. Until I blog again, be good!
No comments:
Post a Comment