When my mom visited Newport the first time over the summer, her trip was nothing less than a small nightmare. Between Madeline recovering from being sick, a horrendous move from Oklahoma to RI, being in a brand new city, unpacking...we were all stressed to the max and needless to say, we didn't really sightsee much. I felt like we owed her a second chance to discover this amazing place we live in and the family chipped in and bought her a plane ticket here for her birthday:) Besides, truth be told, I missed my mama and so did my babies. As busy as we keep ourselves here, and as beautiful as this place is, no matter where I am I always, always miss my family.
My mom is big on family history so we concentrated a lot on that. (However when my dad visits it's all about the food ha!) I took her to Milford, MA where her dad's side of the family came from after leaving Ireland. Seven generations back! We found the church where my great, great, great grandpa was married in and visited the cemetery to see a few graves. Fun, right? ;) Especially when your son loses his boot in the middle of the snowy graveyard and you don't have a clue until he starts whining. I have to say when I stepped into the church I did get goosebumps. So much history and to know they walked down that same aisle that we were walking on...I just wonder if my relatives down the road will care enough about my little family to visit the places we came from.
Not only does my mom love genealogy, but she loves history in general. I'm more of an HGTV kinda girl, but my mom loves the History Channel. And because of that channel, we visited the Newport Tower. This tower draws a lot of attention because (and I am going off of what my mom was telling me) they (Viking historians...not sure what to call them) think the tower was built 100 years before Christopher Columbus discovered America. I'm still going with the 99.9% theory that it was a windmill, but apparently everyone in this town loves a good mystery. The Knights of the Templar just happened to be hanging out there the day we went to visit along with...get this...the guy who helped produce the America Unearthed show on the History Channel that made my mom so curious about seeing this tower. Not only did they chat it up (while I chased my kids around the park there and took pics of Sam with the Knights (why not?)), but he also gave her a signed copy of his book. I mean, what the heck are the chances that this guy is at that tower at the same moment we decided to drop by and visit?
All in all, I think it was a really wonderful trip with my mom. I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it way more than the last time and she was able to spend some quality time with me and the kids. I know they loved having their grandma here. too. I really treasure the time we spend together and watching my kids with her. I know she wishes she could see them grow everyday so these trips (as few and far between as they are) mean a lot to all of us.
I just love these simple moments. I wish I had pictures of my grandma pushing me on a swing.
My mom is big on family history so we concentrated a lot on that. (However when my dad visits it's all about the food ha!) I took her to Milford, MA where her dad's side of the family came from after leaving Ireland. Seven generations back! We found the church where my great, great, great grandpa was married in and visited the cemetery to see a few graves. Fun, right? ;) Especially when your son loses his boot in the middle of the snowy graveyard and you don't have a clue until he starts whining. I have to say when I stepped into the church I did get goosebumps. So much history and to know they walked down that same aisle that we were walking on...I just wonder if my relatives down the road will care enough about my little family to visit the places we came from.
Not only does my mom love genealogy, but she loves history in general. I'm more of an HGTV kinda girl, but my mom loves the History Channel. And because of that channel, we visited the Newport Tower. This tower draws a lot of attention because (and I am going off of what my mom was telling me) they (Viking historians...not sure what to call them) think the tower was built 100 years before Christopher Columbus discovered America. I'm still going with the 99.9% theory that it was a windmill, but apparently everyone in this town loves a good mystery. The Knights of the Templar just happened to be hanging out there the day we went to visit along with...get this...the guy who helped produce the America Unearthed show on the History Channel that made my mom so curious about seeing this tower. Not only did they chat it up (while I chased my kids around the park there and took pics of Sam with the Knights (why not?)), but he also gave her a signed copy of his book. I mean, what the heck are the chances that this guy is at that tower at the same moment we decided to drop by and visit?
All in all, I think it was a really wonderful trip with my mom. I'm pretty sure she enjoyed it way more than the last time and she was able to spend some quality time with me and the kids. I know they loved having their grandma here. too. I really treasure the time we spend together and watching my kids with her. I know she wishes she could see them grow everyday so these trips (as few and far between as they are) mean a lot to all of us.
We miss you already, Gma!
(Warning: Picture overload! I want my mom to have some of these photos to include in our genealogy book)
Exploring Trinity Church in Newport. Built in 1725. The inside is full of boxed pews. We didn't get to go in, but it looked beautiful. Locals will tell you George Washington attended church here!
It wasn't raining, but she wanted to have her umbrella. It was one of those "pick your battles" and I wasn't going to argue with her;)
After viewing my pictures, I realized we spent a lot of time discovering churches and graveyards. Ha!
After Trinity Church we had lunch at my favorite little spot here, Rosemary and Thyme. My mom loved it and fears she will never be able to recreate the sandwich she ate and will forever be craving it. After lunch we headed to a cute park behind the library so Sam could finish his gourmet grilled cheese. I really love the photos I captured here with my mom and the kids.
These faces...my little loves!
I love that we have somewhat matching jackets! ;)
Can you see Sam?
I just love these simple moments. I wish I had pictures of my grandma pushing me on a swing.
My mom and the giant tree:)
This boy would not let go of his grilled cheese. For anything.
Milford, MA. St. Mary's Church
I made her stand by the tile because his name was on my great great great grandparents marriage certificate. He founded the church.
The only Irish Round Tower in the United States. It's a memorial to all of the Irish immigrants.Built from local granite which Milford is renowned for. (I really learned a lot about my history during my mom's visit!)
Our family's graves:
Last night in town we went out for a yummy Italian dinner and watched the sunset by our house. Perfect ending.










2 comments:
My favorite vacation hands down! Loved every minute and thank you so much for going out of your way to make it happen for me! Hope the ancestry stuff gets just a bit of your interest someday so you can carry on where I leave off! So important to remember our past and where we have been!
The worst part was leaving - I just hate when I have to go and how much I will be missing all of you! xoxo
How cool!:) And I love Maddie's little face by the tile...hurry up Mom, this is boring! LOL
Post a Comment