I finished the first book of 25 I am determined to read this year. My husband thinks that's a crazy goal and asked where I would find the time to read 25 books. Little does he know, I will be locked up in my room reading when he gets back and has total control over Miss Ella;) Muahaha!
Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom is a book I bought for my dad for Christmas. He introduced me to Mr. Albom's books and I have loved every one of them. I loved Tuesdays with Morrie so much, I decided to teach it my first year as a 10th grade English teacher (show those kids a slice of humanity!). My students loved it as much as I did. I wasn't surprised it was chosen as their favorite, but if anyone remembers the novels of their sophomore year...yikes. Can't really compare! Although I do love me some Jane Eyre... Back to my story. I bought this book for my dad in hopes he would read it quickly and let me read it next (which is exactly what happened! Works every time.) My eyes were opened reading it. Wide opened. Especially from this Sermon posted in the book (and no this book doesn't scream religion at you. It's about faith, yes, and the two heartwarming journeys of faith for two men...and for Mitch himself.)
From the Rabbi's Sermon:
A man seeks employment on a farm. He hands his letter of recommendation to his new employer. It reads simply, "He sleeps in a storm." The owner is desperate for help, so he hires the man. Several weeks pass, and suddenly, in the middle of the night, a powerful storm rips through the valley. Awakened by the swirling rain and howling wind, the owner leaps out of bed. He calls for his new hired hand, but the man is sleeping soundly. So he dashes to the barn. He sees, to his amazement, that the animals are secure with plenty of feed. He runs out to the field. He sees the bales of wheat have been bound and are wrapped in tarpaulins. He races to the silo. The doors are latched, and the grain is dry. And then he understands. 'He sleeps in a storm.'
"My friends, if we tend to the things that are important in life, if we are right with those we love and behave in line with our faith, our lives will not be cursed with the aching throb of unfulfilled business. Our words will always be sincere, our embraces will be tight. We will never wallow in the agony of 'I could have. I should have.' We can sleep in a storm. And when it's time, our good-byes will be complete."
This particular excerpt was my "ah-ha moment". God put us on this Earth for a reason. What is my purpose for being here? I think sometimes as a mom, I feel that I am never doing enough. I should volunteer more. I should go back to get my Master's Degree. I should have a career to help with finances. I should be more involved in our church. The list is really endless. I should. I could. Instead, what I need to do is live the life God has given me and have a little faith I am doing exactly what God intended for me to do. I am truly inspired though to be a better person, mom and wife. The book gives us pause to rekindle our faith and realize our lifetime here is so short in comparison to what comes next. To live life to it's absolute fullest, but don't forget to have a little faith.
1 comment:
Wow Melissa!
"By George I think she's got it"... If more people thought this way, the world would be a much better place! xox You brought tears to my eyes :)
Post a Comment