May 19, 2013

Mom's 60th Birthday

That title was hard to even type out. My mom? 60? Say whaaaat? No way. Although I don't even find 60 to be old anymore! I thought about my mom's 60th birthday present since the beginning of last summer. I knew exactly what I wanted to do for her (thanks to Pinterest). I wanted to make it as special as possible and to make her feel as special as possible. She's been an amazing mom to me and my two brothers, an incredible sister to her nine siblings, a loyal friend to many, and the best grandma to her grandbabies. I wanted her to know she is extra loved and adored! 

I contacted family and friends (stalked her facebook to find her very good friends from NY...thank you to them for not thinking I was a crazy person!) and asked them all to mail, email, or message me their favorite memory with my mom. My goal was to collect 60 memories and I surpassed that number. I loved checking our mailbox everyday to find it filled with letters, birthday cards, and pictures. I truly can't thank everyone enough for making this gift her favorite birthday present ever...and for making her 60th birthday the most memorable one to date. She was overwhelmed when she opened the box and couldn't believe people wanted to do this for her. I think she needed a good reminder of just how much everyone loves and cares for her. (We all need that every now and then!) It took her three days to open everything and read through it all. But I loved sharing lots of good cries, laughs, and listening to the memories with her.

I learned a lot about my mom from this gift and in the end, it was a gift for me as well. We now have this box filled with a bit of her history which we can pass down to generations. It's a true treasure for our family. Just how I think of my mom.

The memories started pouring in
The final product!













I always take way too many photos, but these are some of my favorites with the girls and their grandma. Their expressions as she was reading the letters are so adorable and you can tell they love her endlessly.  Happy 60th birthday, Mom.  We ALL love you so very much. 

1 comment:

Natassja said...

Beautiful job! I've seen this one on pinterest too & pinned it for safekeeping for my parents too! :) Love the pictures with her tearing up!!