Home is where the Army sends us.
Tom and I always say that to each other and how no matter where we are stationed...as long as we are together, we will be ok. Home for us for the past 7 years has been Fort Sill, Oklahoma. It's been the second longest place either of us has ever resided in.
My heart is heavy this morning for all of Oklahoma, but especially those hit hardest by the tornado yesterday in Moore. All of those parents waking up and not having their babies to hug. I absolutely can't imagine it. I know I hugged my children a little harder today.
All of the people waking up in a foreign place because their houses have been destroyed. Their family members missing, pets missing, belongings gone. They barely walked away with the shirts on their backs. The few trees left standing were literally debarked. The whole city left in a twisted, tangled mess.
We may joke about not loving Lawton, but one thing has never faltered: the people of Oklahoma have always been good to us. Of all the places I have lived, the people here are the kindest, most genuine. They love their state and have complete pride in being from Oklahoma. I pray they find the strength to get through this disaster. Our hearts are with you.
From the song Oklahoma...pretty fitting right now.
Flowers on the prairie where the June bugs zoom,
Plen'y of air and plen'y of room,
Plen'y of room to swing a rope!

2 comments:
I was praying you guys would be safe.
you are one beautiful, thoughtful writer! that was a very touching post and made me cry! xoxo glad you are all safe & sound.
Post a Comment