May 2, 2013

Welcome, Samuel Chase!

Our son, Samuel "Sam" Chase, entered this world on April 23, 2013 at 9:12 pm. We couldn't be more thrilled to have this little boy to add to our family. A family of five now we are and he seems to fit in pretty perfectly. Sam is a completely chill baby (so far) and the girls are absolutely loving having him in their lives.

As for Sam's birth story, here goes:

I woke up bright and early completely not ready to be induced and dreading every bit of the process. As much as I wanted to meet our son, I hated to force labor. We said goodbye to the girls and my mom, and Madeline made me cry because she didn't want me to go. I didn't either sweet girl;)  They checked us into our delivery room and explained how the inducing would go. They started an IV (after failed attempts) and hooked me and the baby up to the monitors. They did an ultrasound and Sam was showing to be sunny side up. Not ideal. After the nurse left the room, I looked at Tom and started to cry. Obviously being 41 weeks pregnant I was a little hormonal. But I just didn't picture labor like this at all. It's not what I wanted, and well, I guess my normal reaction to not getting my way is to cry. Tom comforted me and reassured me this was what was best for myself and the baby. I got my act together at that point and accepted the cards I was dealt.

The midwife came in at 9am and put a tab of Cytotec on my cervix to help soften it. At that point I was only 1cm and 50% and as she said a "-4 station" (you need to be a +3 to start pushing). She laughed at how high the baby still was (I however didn't share in her joy). The Cytotec needed to stay in for two hours with me laying down. I think Tom watched the news and I just stared at the clock. During those two hours the baby was going crazy. I was having contractions that I couldn't feel, but with each contraction the baby was trying to move away from the Cytotec and his heartbeat was very erratic at almost 190. After the two hours I was allowed to use the bathroom and the midwife checked my cervix. It didn't do anything. Still the same. But the tab of medication came out which made the midwife happy because poor Sam wasn't handling that stuff very well. They added Phenergan to my IV to help settle us both down and it ended up knocking me out within five minutes. I slept the majority of the afternoon because I wasn't allowed up anyway and oh my goodness that Phenergran really knocks you out!!

I was still hooked up to the monitors and the nurses were shocked that I continued to contract on my own throughout the afternoon. The contractions didn't hurt, but by 5:30 the nurse came in and said Sam's heart rate was settled and I could get up and use the bathroom. Thank god because I had to pee like no other. After that, I started to really feel the contractions and Tom decided to download a contraction app on his phone to time them himself. (They time them on the monitors, but the nurses didn't exactly come in very frequently to check on me. They knew I wanted a natural labor and I am sure didn't feel the need to bother me.) I labored on the birthing ball and I walked back and forth next to my bed (remember I was hooked up to an IV and monitors). At one point my wrist started to hurt and I looked down and my IV had moved and my wrist was completely swollen and filling with fluid. A nurse had to come in and start a new one on my other arm. (so much fun!)

With contractions about 1-4 minutes apart, I thought that labor was definitely beginning. But it wasn't hurting enough. I was still laughing with Tom and cracking jokes and texting friends. Finalllllllly the doctor came in at 8pm (I hadn't seen that man since the morning) to check me. I was 5cm and 80%. He asked if I wanted the epidural and I said no. I asked if they were going to start Pitocin and he said he could break my water instead to speed things up. Definitely SO weird to have your water broken. The flood gates opened, and I heard the Dr. tell the resident with him to "set the table up...she's going to go fast."  I sent my last text at 8:38pm to my friend Christy giving her a quick update. At that point I was still ok. But within seconds, I told Tom to take my phone and that this was the real deal. He was texting Bridget telling her I was a viking. And trying to rub my back telling me to think of rainbows and leprechauns. I think I told him to shut up and asked him what the hell was I thinking going natural again. I told the nurse I felt like I had to push. She put on gloves super fast and checked me...I was 8cm.

The doctor came in a few minutes later and told me I could start pushing on the next contraction. Say whaaaaat? I think the devil took over at that point and I lost my mind momentarily. I do remember  waiting for a contraction, just completely sweaty, telling the doctor that "I don't want to do this anymore" And I believe he asked me what I would be doing for birth control after this baby and I replied with "abstinence". See?  I can still joke even while pushing;) A few (like 6) pushes later and out came Sam at 9:12 pm. (the most pushing I have ever done with my babies, but definitely a quick labor)! He was a tiny, tiny guy at only 6 pounds 1.9 ounces and 19.7 inches. But he was perfect. Tom cut the cord and I held Sam in my arms completely relieved to have my son safe, sound, and healthy.

At the end of the day, I got the natural labor and delivery I wanted and most importantly, our sweet Sam.

I couldn't possibly be happier.

Saying goodbye to the belly and giving Sam a kiss!
Ready to meet our son!
I don't think he wanted to come out
So happy to have him in my arms




Tom posing him for pics already
Citadel graduate...   Class of 2035 

3 comments:

Natassja said...

This brought me to tears! So beautiful and moving! Well done friends! He is beautiful and yes, boys can be beautiful! Congratulations to the whole family!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful!

Caroline said...

So sweet! Congratulations to such a beautiful family! And how in the world do you look so gorgeous after all of this?!