August 20, 2013

Rhode Island Livin' and PCSin'

It was a whirlwind of a move. More stressful than either Tom or I could have ever imagined. I am sure by day 3 of being in a hotel, we were all ready to give up. Once we made it to Rhode Island, the ball started rolling. Our first household goods shipment made it. And that was about it. We had no beds, no bathroom stuff, no clothes minus the seven outfits I had packed for each of us on the roadtrip. The moving company told us one week and we would have the rest of our belongings. One week turned into two. Two into three. And finally, our stuff arrived. Too bad it was missing quite a few things including our giant, living room area rug (how do movers LOSE that??), hardware to our beds,  and they had broken or damaged quite a few items. Can anything be easy with this move? I mean these incompetent packers/movers even lost the little curtain to the girl's play kitchen. What did they do? Use it as a hankie while packing and stick it in their pocket? I'm over it. We put in a claim with the company and hopefully we will be reimbursed. Until then, I have put it behind me (sort of) and am dreading the future move come next June.

I don't think a lot of people even understand what goes into moving with a family of five. I think I am just now recovering from being mentally and physically exhausted. Between hotel living in Lawton, the long drive, Madeline in the hospital, nursing and caring for a newborn, our stuff being displaced and sleeping on a couch for three weeks while my babies slept on air mattresses with my mom, figuring out a new city, trying to make new friends, unpacking tons of boxes, organizing a home all over again...it's been a summer to remember. Or forget.  Oh did I mention I broke my big toe during all of this chaos? Yeah, the steel beam that can hang our tv on the wall dropped on my foot. My nail is still black. However, at least I am walking normally again. (Gosh I am full of complaints!)

But, we have survived. (probably with the help of a lot of Newport Storm beer...the blueberry is delicious) and wine. No judging.  We are still a family of five. Still smiling. And still very much looking forward to everything this beautiful place has to offer.
Just a touch of the mess.


 Waiting for the water taxi


 I never take her little smile for granted!
 Love that little baby foot

 Cheers to our new adventure!


There was a lot of ice pops, snacks and ipad time to be had during this move!



PS. This post wasn't meant to be a "feel bad for me" post. Just a little look inside our lives and what we have been doing in the month of July. Moving is never easy. However, living here makes it worth all of the bumps on the road and we are very grateful for the opportunity! 

1 comment:

Jamie Kubeczka said...

You make everything seem so easy mama... you got this! You look great, kids are adorbs and everything will come together before you know it. Oh and I am emailing you back about your blog as we speak. I am so sorry I have been such a slacker!!