December 22, 2013

Christmas at The Breakers

When the opportunity arose to sign up for free tickets to a first-ever children's Christmas party at The Breakers mansion, I took it. One, it was free. Two, I have wanted to go inside and explore this 69,000 sq ft summer cottage of the Vanderbilt's since we moved here. Three, did I mention free? We got the kids all gussied up in their Christmas finest, (my girls would wear fancy dresses daily if I let them. The more tulle and glitter the better) and headed out to celebrate.

When we walked in they handed the girls clear ornament bulbs and explained they would be going on an I Spy hunt throughout the house for little trinkets to place inside their ornaments. Such an adorable idea! For example, the girls went to the music room and had to find a musical instrument. Then they received a tiny music note. In the library they received a tiny book (it actually opens!), and so on and so on.


The mansion was incredible. To think this was their summer residence is just crazy. In the kitchen there was a two story pantry AND a floral pantry. It's where they would bring the fresh flowers to trim and clean up. I thought we might get kicked out after Madeline went under the roped off area in the music room and tried sitting on the Vanderbilt's couch. She was apparently trying to make herself right at home and rest her little feet. The look of horror on the worker's face as Madeline leaned her tiny hiney against the furniture was one I will never forget! Whoops!

We collected all of our I Spy treasures, listened to the Christmas carolers, visited with Santa, didn't put any more hiney's on the furniture, drank some egg nog, cider, and ate some yummy food...and said goodbye to more house than I have ever seen before. It was a truly awesome experience though for us all!
Before we left...
 Sam wanted nothing to do with pictures. He wasn't feeling 100%.










Sweetest Santa pic ever!! (I secretly wanted Sam to scream and give his "I'm terrified" look, but nope!)

No comments: