December 23, 2013

NYC Surprise!

After the Polar Express, we headed for a night drive to NY to visit my family. Tom and I had been harboring a huge secret from the girls: Aunt Bunny was taking them to NYC and surprising them with a trip to the American Girl store to choose any doll they wanted!

The roadtrip to my aunt's seemed like another nightmare though. About an hour into the 3.5 hr drive, Madeline threw up all over herself. I found myself in the bathroom at a McDonald's cleaning her coat and pillowcase in the sink. I knew she wasn't sick so the only thing I could think of was car sickness. We shut off the little tv screen and she drank some sprite and fell asleep for the rest of the trip. Poor baby. Both her parents suffered from really bad car sickness growing up, but I was hoping it would skip my kids! Ella was having some crazy fit in the back about not being able to sleep in her car seat and she unbuckled herself to get more comfortable exclaiming she was tired of being in a 5pt harness still and just wanted a seatbelt! Ha! I might give in to that one soon though;) There seemed to be a lot of screaming, crying and overall chaos in our car to which I remember saying "let's turn the car around". We didn't, and once we seemed to settle everyone down, the rest of the drive was completely silent with sleeping babies.

The next day we took the train into Penn Station and the girls were trying to guess where they were going. Ella thought it was to Build-A-Bear. My aunt told her it was WAY better than that! When we finally reached the American Girl store, Ella saw the red awnings from across the city street and screamed with excitement, pointing! I have to admit, it was an AWESOME surprise. And a realllllly awesome gift. It was the first time I had ever been in one of these stores and the girls as well. We were all a little overwhelmed. When my aunt finally told them to "pick whatever doll you want" Ella went off to search for Caroline, and Madeline said to Aunt Bunny "but I have a baby doll already" (sweet, non-greedy, child of mine). Aunt Bunny told her she could pick a big sister for her baby and it finally clicked in Madeline's head that she was getting a new doll! She wanted one that looked like her "but with longer hair". (Made me want to cry!)

After the doll adventure was over, we headed to see The Tree in Rockefeller Center. I absolutely love NYC at Christmas time. There is nothing else in the world like this place. All of the beautiful window displays, the enormous, beautiful tree, the hustle and bustle of the shoppers, the endless honking of the cabs, the Broadway theaters, the pretzel stands on every corner (you know that was MY first stop!)...I don't think I could ever live in the city now, but I certainly love visiting it.

The girls loved visiting as well! Before we leave Newport I want to take them back when it's not so crowded. I think they would love tea at the Plaza...with their dolls of course;)


 Does it creep anyone else out that these dolls seem to be in mini coffins? No? 



 Bag is as big as she is!
 My very happy girls!
 This is how we left Tom when we all had a potty break;) (and the bathroom stalls actually have a spot where you can set your doll down...lordy!!)
 Giving Uncle Mike a big thank you hug!








 Aunt Bunny needed a drink after all that;)


 No trip is complete without seeing it.
 She just couldn't hang any longer...waiting for the train.
 Tom felt that Penn Station was like being in Europe...and well we drank a lot of alcohol in those train stations.
Taking care of her doll:)
I was able to meet my cousin's new baby. Sweet Mila. She is SO good and SO cute and SO precious. I was a little sniffly though so I didn't want to hold her:(
 Aunt Bunny bought the girls matching Christmas dresses and the dresses had matching ones for their dolls! The girls thought that was so neat!

 Cousin Michelle was put on hair duty! (I would have been more interactive, but apparently having TWO big German beers the night before out with my family made me extremely hungover the next day and well...I had to delegate mom duties)
 We had lunch at Tom's cousin Ariana's house. Her son Damien is a hoot!! He cracks me up! The kids all played so well together!
 That evening my Aunt had a big Italian dinner at her house so everyone could stop by and hang out and catch up a little! It was so nice to see everyone. I know how busy the holidays are, but I can't possibly thank everyone for coming by to see us!
 Uncle Joe bought Sam a really cool light up bowling set. Sam loves it!
 And Sam loves Uncle Joe! 
 I have a very similar picture of Ella in this exact high chair with red wine and eating meatballs! We tried to recreate it! (He didn't partake in the wine.)
 The kids were COMPLETELY spoiled while in NY. Every one of my aunts and uncles who saw them brought them gifts. And my cousins, too. It made me cry that I have such a sweet, sweet family. We are all very blessed! And Aunt Jeanne and Aunt Katie found the girls the Frozen dolls they wanted! Woohoo! Happy kids!

Best looking reindeer ever.
 Aidan and Sam:) Such cuties!

Such a wonderful visit. One of my favorites ever. I can't thank Aunt Bunny and Uncle Mike enough for their hospitality and everything they do for us. To all of my NY family and Tom's too...we love you guys and thank you, thank you for making our Christmas an amazing one. Absolutely unforgettable.

1 comment:

Randi and Joe said...

What an amazing trip!!! So many memories made-how FUN!!!