June 27, 2014

Goodbye Newport!



Oh Newport. You have been so good to us. I love your scenery. Your parks. Your beaches. Your restaurants. I love your lemonade. And beer. I love your wharfs filled with shopping and ice cream and coffee. And your sailboats. They're everywhere in the summer and such a sight to see. I love your mansions, and Cliff Walk, and sharing lobster rolls. I love the Fifth Ward and seeing shamrocks everywhere.  I love subs from Ash Mart. I love watching the seasons change. I love all of the historical houses and St. Mary's on Spring St. I love sledding in Fort Adams. The Bay Walk in Fort Adams. Sea glass hunting in Fort Adams. Fort Adams. I truly loved you. And all of the people we met there. The view never got old, and neither will the friendships we made.

I know of all of the places we will go in our army life, Newport will always be a favorite. Any duty station that comes after will constantly be compared even though there is no comparison. I see our time living in the City by the Sea as an amazing opportunity; a real treat. One we will never forget, and one we will always treasure.

Thank you, Newport and our Fort Adams family for giving us lifelong memories to take with us wherever the Army sends us!
Our last week
Moving is very tiring. Or watching those packers take away my toys is exhausting.
 Reading the GoodPie Party book to Sam. My mom bought it for Ella and it is the perfect book for any child to read when they have to move away from their friends. Instead of "goodbyes", the kids eat good pies;)
 Making use of all that packing paper!
 Not happy to see her things boxed up once again.
 Until I let her play in a box. Then all is good again.
 I'll miss this.
 Looking through her yearbook. Can't believe my kid has a yearbook. I feel like I am so old. :/
 The smell of cardboard was prevalent in our house!
 A family has to eat! Might as well be on the water since we all know there isn't waterfront property like this at Bragg!
 Sharing a drink:)
 Sugarin' up my little sweet man.



 Hotel Living! Breakfast before the last day of school.


I can see how much she has changed in ten months. Very ready for First Grade!
 With her teacher! We both shed a few tears saying our goodbyes!
 With her besties! 
 While Ella was enjoying her last day of school, which coincided with our last day in Newport, we enjoyed some Del's! And you better believe I bought a bucket of it to take with us!


Then Sam passed out. While watching the World Cup. Maybe soccer isn't his thing!

 It just cracks me up! He slept through all of the yelling and cheering and loudness of the restaurant!!
 Madeline finally got to sit in the famous Wave statue downtown.
 Last time in the fountain.




 As we left our Fort Adams home for the last time, we made our final stop at the beginning of the neighborhood. Posing by the giant anchors:)
 Goodbye 29 Polk Ct. :(

2 comments:

Wendy Martin said...

This totally made me tear up! Miss you guys and can't wait to see you this weekend for a quick 1 day reunion in NC!

Natassja said...

Oh my gosh, the first part sounds like it could be a poem. Fort Adams, by Melissa Petrini!

I miss it & I was only there for 4 days!! So sad, but you'll have your dreams of a Newport retirement to look forward too! :) xoxo