February 12, 2013

Picture Wall

Even though we only have a few months left here, I couldn't take looking at the empty wall above our antique table. It drove me insane on a daily basis. I hate the feeling of not being "settled". I know we will never truly be "settled" until Tom retires from the Army, but I made a promise to myself that with each place we move to I want it to be as much of a home as possible. Hence, my need for hanging things up on the wall. Now, in a normal house this is probably an easy task. But not in a 100+yr old home whose walls have been painted over 100x and probably layers and layers of plaster just keep on adding to it. We needed hammers, drills, velcro...it was a task. But we love it:) That's our last name at the top as well. My mom made it for us as a Christmas present this year. Each letter represents something from our lives or family i.e the P is a photo from my Grandma's front porch railing that my Uncle Glenn took for my mom. The last I is from the Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany where we visited a few times while living there. I cried when I opened it. Such a meaningful present!



I love how they just watch and learn. I think I told them to put the earmuffs on from all of the cursing we were probably doing while completing this project;)