February 27, 2013

Luke and Caroline's Visit!

Feb 3: Our friends drove from St. Louis to come visit us here in little ole Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. When Tom sent me a text from work letting me know they wanted to visit, I was really excited. But wondering why on Earth would they want to come here? Then we thought what on Earth will we do to entertain them? Turns out if you are only visiting here for a day and a night, it's not such a bad place. Right, Luke and Caroline? 

These two were so excited for Luke and Caroline to visit I had to find a way to occupy them before they asked me "When will they be here?" one more time. Off to the park we went!

 

We started out with a trip to the Wildlife Refuge and went for a buffalo hunt. It really is beautiful out there and especially on top of Mt. Scott. You can't beat the view and for a split second, I thought about how it was actually a treat to live here and see that. Seriously...it lasted for all of a second though and after the crazy winds almost knocked us off the mountain, I realized "Yup, it's still Oklahoma." After almost running out of gas in the middle of nowhere (how does Tom not look at the gas gage and see that it's flashing ZERO gallons at him, I will never know...I can't believe he expected me to fill up my own tank when it still had 40 miles to go the last time I was in my car;) we went on a gas station hunt.

After finding the lone gas station that only accepted cash and looked like it was from a scene out of Deliverance, we headed out to eat at Meers. It's a rather unique establishment and they serve burgers the size of pie pans in actual pie pans. And peach cobbler with ice cream that could feed a family of 10, but really it's just for one person. The food was delicious and we all left feeling more than full.












And this is Meers. I never promised them fancy.

Waiting patiently at Meers with Uncle Luke!
That's a bowl of ice cream that comes with the cobbler. Don't worry, it wasn't all eaten. I tried though.
After our late lunch (which was so huge that we all skipped dinner), we decided to walk off some off the calories and hit up Cannon Walk on Post to show them around. I bet the only thing they remember from this part of the trip though is Madeline constantly saying "I have to go potty. I am going to pee my pantsssss". Over and over again. But my girl held it in until we returned home.





We absolutely loved having them visit us and can't wait to see them in St. Louis in July on our way to Rhode Island! I just hope they're ready for Petrini: Party of 5:)

2 comments:

Jamie Kubeczka said...

Sounds like a great time!

Caroline said...

We had such a fun time with you guys! Can't wait to host your family and show you around the Lou!