February 18, 2014

Peridot

When Tom came home from Hawaii he was so excited to give everyone their prizes. I honestly never expected anything because I assumed he would just spoil the kids. And he did! He bought them tons of little Hawaiian souvenirs: beach dresses, a little hula girl, candy, lei headbands. He bought Sam home his very first, and probably last, Hawaiian shirt. Ha;)

But then when he handed me a jewelry box and I saw there was a beautiful peridot necklace inside I nearly lost it. You see, peridot is the August birthstone. I have always loved it, but even more so since my grandmother's birthday was in August. I mentioned how I loved the light green stone maybe once to Tom so for him to remember (or not even remember, but still choose it) and bring home something so beautiful really tugged at my heart.

Then I remembered what the date was: February 15th. Seven years ago I took a positive pregnancy test on February 15th. My Ella. One of my first phone calls was to my grandma. I told her she was going to have her first great grandbaby. But she had to keep it a secret. She was so excited for me and we talked in detail about how she wanted to have generation photos taken and she would get her hair done for them. She promised to keep it a secret. Four months later she passed away. I will never forget her telling my mom about the circle of life and how she was dying, but I was having a little girl...

I felt like a part of her was with me when I opened the jewelry box on that day. I know she would've been one heck of a great-grandma considering she had ten of her own babies!

Just a little story I wanted my kids to know. So eventually when they see me decked out in multiple peridots they'll know why;)
Pictures do not do this necklace justice.

We played Chutes and Ladders Hawaiian style since we were pretty snowed in! Note the cute Hula girls as game pieces;)

1 comment:

dcy said...

Just loved all these updates, but really the story about the necklace is beautiful! I'm so glad you wrote it down for your girls to know what an important piece of jewelry that is!