February 23, 2014

Winter Break

Winter Break has new meaning living here. Usually it's the break around Christmas. But here, it's a week long vacation at the end of February. I didn't mind it. I love having Ella home (on days where everyone gets along) and for the most part, the kids always slept in past 7.

During the break, Newport also had it's annual Winter Festival going on so there was always something to keep the kids occupied. I have a feeling I will really miss all of these festivals when we move. These people have a festival for everything.

Children's Fair. Magic show, bounce houses, face painting (of course my girls wanted nothing to do with that!), crafts...pretty sure Sam thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.
This was the best thing we did all break! This local boutique hotel and restaurant, 41 North, put on the most adorable princess party. And when Elsa showed up, you would have thought she was a true celebrity. Every child in there went crazy. She sang for them, read them a story, posed for pictures and signed autographed pictures. There was cute tea type foods like cookies, fruits and veggies for the kids and a crown designing station and more face painting.  We had a wonderful time!
 Madeline looks thrilled, right? ;)
There's that smile!!
Discovered a delicious place for Thai food. Sam loved it, too. Although from the pic I think he might have been overwhelmed with the deliciousness.
 Ella signed up for a library card through her school. She has been begging to go and since we are flying through books at the house, I decided it was time. I don't know why it took us so long, but I certainly have a fellow bookworm on my hands!
 We took a trip to the Providence Children's Museum with my friend Wendy and her two kids. Ally is in Ella's class (Her teacher actually introduced me to Wendy!) and they have become fast BFFs. It's an added bonus that her son Hank and Madeline get along really well, too! The museum was a lot of fun for the kids. The girls said their favorite part was the giant Lite Brite. 


 We took the kids to a family friendly night at the local Irish place where they had live music and crafts for the kids. For the first time ever I was that parent whose kids were probably a little wild running around with friends and annoying other patrons. Oh well. 
 We ended winter break with Ella's friend Mara having a birthday party. It was supposed to be at the local outdoor ice skating rink, but the rink was closed that day due to warm weather and the rink melting! Quick planning on the parents part had us celebrating at the big arcade instead! The birthday girl was such a good sport about it. I think my kids would have had meltdowns, but Mara smiled all day.
All in all, a great week! Ella was certainly ready to get back to school and her friends though. :) 

No comments: