December 2, 2012

Welcome December!

I can't believe it's already December. When I think back to a year ago, I remember not being overly excited about the holidays. I was still excited to celebrate with my girls because they bring that magic back into the holiday. But it wasn't the same with Tom away. This year, we decorated the day after Thanksgiving and I am loving every bit of it. Our elf, Henry, arrived that day as well and the girls have been waking up extra early to "elf hunt" every morning. Awesome. Really awesome. I think I am going to ask Santa for some sleeping dust for my kids.

Last Christmas, my younger brother and I, along with my mom, sorted through bins upon bins of decor and ornaments. She sent me back to OK with ummmm I'd say 8 bins? Needless to say I can't thank her enough because our house is filled with so much Christmas love now. I find myself smiling reminiscing about decorating my childhood home with her and putting up all of these Santas which now adorn our bookshelves and window sills. The only thing missing is our families to help us enjoy it all. But making new memories with my own family is the next step in growing up, right?

The girls loved helping to decorate the tree, while I about had a small heart attack with each box they opened and didn't put properly back together. Or every ornament they hung up "not in the right place" or one on top of the other on the same branch. I felt like the biggest Christmas Nazi ever. (Is that word appropriate for my children's blog?) At one point I had to walk away and tell myself that this is supposed to be a joyous time and the girls are loving looking at all of my (my mom's) old/new ornaments. Our tree wasn't just 100% purchased at Target in one swift trip. The ornaments on there (95%) of them have special meaning. I have collected them from all over the world while traveling. My mom has collected them since she was a child. There are homemade ones from Ella and myself and Tom and even his mom. I could honestly tell you a little story behind every one of them...that's how meaningful they are.

We call it our 'comfort tree'. It might not make it to the center of Macy's (Tom did add colored lights to it afterall!), but it is quite lovely to look at in the corner of our living room.


3 comments:

Jamie Kubeczka said...

Very pretty tree!!

Modern Camelot said...

I think your tree is lovely, and how neat that the ornaments are all so special and sentimental!

dcy said...

What a beautiful tree Melissa! The girls did a great job decorating it! And remember these will be their childhood memories when they are your age! They will remember the magic of decorating the tree and the house! xoxo